By Andrea Bartels CNP NNCP RNT
Registered Nutritional Therapist
26 April 2023
Andrea’s Bone Builder Smoothie
Yield: 2 generous servings
Key nutrients: Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, potassium, protein, lignans and isoflavones
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup chilled calcium–rich beverage (such as organic soy, oat, almond beverage or cow’s milk)
- 1 bag of alfalfa leaf tea OR ¼ cup fresh alfalfa sprouts
- 1 scoop whey protein, pumpkin seed protein or pea protein
Tip: Prepare several cups of the alfalfa tea in advance and chill in the fridge to save time.
- First, bring ½ cup water to a boil. Pour on alfalfa tea bag and steep for 8 minutes. Discard tea bag and let stand to cool before using.
- If using alfalfa sprouts, rinse them thoroughly and pat dry.
- Pour tea into the blender, followed by your choice of calcium-rich beverage.
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend to desired consistency. Enjoy!
From the kitchen of Andrea Bartels RNT Registered Nutritional Therapist