Carolyn Mercer, B.Sc., N.D.
13 Apr 2021
The kidneys are the second line of defense using bicarbonates to correct pH, usually over a matter of a couple of days. More research has shown that the buffering systems in the body also aid in maintaining bone density.
CO2 + H20 << - - >> H2CO3 << - - >> NaCO3 + H+
Sodium bicarbonate (NaCO3) maintains the balance of CO2, bicarbonate and pH levels in the blood. In a state of acidosis, the body has to produce carbonic acid (H2CO3) to neutralize acids (H+). CO2 production involved in the exhalation process is also part of the detoxification and alkalinizing process. This is known as the carbonic acid buffering system.
Modern western diets which include dairy products, while being a good source of calcium, can be acidic for the body if not digested properly. Bone has many alkaline tissue salts which can help neutralize this acidity. As a result, some people might argue the benefits of incorporating dairy from traditional milk products, as a source of calcium, can be counterproductive. The minerals leached from the bone to neutralize this acidity can contribute to both osteopenia and osteoporosis over long periods of time.
Studies have shown that increased acid load can prevent the resorption of calcium into the bone. Potassium bicarbonates have been shown to reduce bone resorption and reduce the excretion of calcium in the urine. In one study, 1 mmol/L of potassium bicarbonates prevented bone turnover and calcium excretion.
Sodium bicarbonate neutralizes increased acid in the body, especially acid production in the stomach. Sodium bicarbonate also acts as a vehicle to get magnesium into the interior of the cell. Some of the most recent evidence suggest magnesium actually allows calcium to deposit into the cells.
A healthy cell actually has higher levels of magnesium than calcium. It has been shown that without sufficient magnesium, calcium would collect in soft tissues and cause arthritis. Sodium bicarbonate can allow for the movement of magnesium into the bone cells, which then subsequently signals the transport of calcium into the bones.
One of the other buffering systems is the phosphorus buffering system. The phosphate buffering system works on buffering renal tubular intracellular fluid and decreasing acid in the renal tubules.
HCl + Na2HPO4 >> NaH2PO4 + NaCl
Phosphorus also combines with calcium to form a mineral crystal that is known as crystalline bone or hydroxyapatite, which gives strength to the bone.
Metabolic acidosis over long periods of time can set the stage for chronic inflammation in the body. While inflammation can be a good thing in small doses, over long periods of time, this can be very damaging to tissues, such as the bones in the body, since the body functions optimally at very specific pH values. There are two ways we can detoxify these acids from the system including breathing (the exhalation process) and kidney flushing. The carbonic acid buffering system utilizes bicarbonates to buffer acids. CO2 is produced in this process and the exhalation process aids in the detoxification of excess acids in the system. The phosphate buffering system helps to neutralize and detoxify excess acid being produced and excreted in the kidneys.
The research around bone density has evolved from the traditional intake of calcium, magnesium, and use of Vitamin D. Consider adding alkalinizing tissue salts to your regimen, in order to maintain proper bone density.
ALKAPURE OPTIMAL FORMULATION
When looking for an optimal alkalinizing product the ratios of certain buffering agents is critical. Calcium carbonate has been used in the past to neutralize stomach acidity and can have immediate effects; however, over the long term calcium when used as a buffering agent can cause rebound gastric acid secretion which can actually lead to increased levels of acidosis.
Other long term effects of administering calcium as a buffering agent can lead to increased production of kidney stones or other unwanted calcifications. Neutralizing calcium agents should also not be administered if there is excess phosphate in the body because of the risk of increased calcium deposits in the tissues. AlkaPure pH formulation has phosphate buffers but no calcium buffers.
The sodium:potassium ratio is critical for maintaining optimal water distribution between the extracellular and intracellular spaces. Sodium and bicarbonates act in the extracellular fluid and phosphates and potassium act more on the intracellular fluids.
Excess sodium bicarbonates can induce water retention and prevent detoxification and excess potassium salts can cause dehydration.
Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) without a balanced amount of potassium in the system can aggravate fluid retention and can be dangerous in those with edema or chronic kidney disease.
An imbalance of sodium to potassium can also aggravate cardiovascular disease.
AlkaPure pH has a balance of sodium and potassium in the formulation.
1. Lewis, James, January 2020, Metabolic Acidosis. In Merck Manual Professional Version. https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/acid-base-regulation-and-disorders/metabolic-acidosis (accessed March 23, 2021).
2. Sircus, Mark. January 21, 2021: The Bicarbonate Miracle. https://drsircus.com/general/the-bicarbonate-miracle/ (accessed March 15, 2021).
3. Frassetto, Linda et al., "Acid Balance, Dietary Acid Load, and Bone Effects - A Controversial Subject, 2018," Nutrients 10(4) (April 21), https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29690515/ (accessed March 16, 2021).
4. Wynn, E. et al., "Postgraduate Symposium: Positive influence of nutritional alkalinity on Bone Health, 2010," The Proceeding of the Nutrition Society 69(1) (February), https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19954569/ (accessed March 18, 2021).
5. Science Daily, January 14, 2015. Potassium salts aid bone health, limit osteoporosis risk, new research finds. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150114115340.htm (accessed March 17, 2021).
6. Dawson-Hughes, Bess et al., "Potassium Bicarbonate Supplementation Lowers Bone Turnover and Calcium Excretion in Older Men and Women: A Randomized Dose-Finding Trial, 2015, "Journal of Bone Mineral Reserves" 30(11) (November), (accessed March 18, 2021).
7. Web MD. 2020: Sodium Bicarbonate. https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1470/sodium-bicarbonate (accessed March 17, 2021).
8. Tusol Wellness. 2020: Super-Charging your Water with Magnesium Bicarbonate. https://tusolwellness.com/2020/05/12/how-to-magnesium-bicarbonate/ (accessed March 22, 2021).
9. Sircus, Mark. December 8, 2009: Magnesium Bicarbonate - The Ultimate Mitochondrial Cocktail. https://drsircus.com/magnesium/the-ultimate-mitochondrial-cocktail/ (accessed March 24, 2021).
10. Medical Physiology. Phosphate Buffering System. https://www.brainkart.com/article/Phosphate-Buffer-System_19456/ (accessed March 25, 2021).
11. Brown, S. July 11, 2014. Key minerals for bone health - phosphorus. https://www.betterbones.com/bone-nutrition/phosphorus/ (accessed March 25, 2021).
12. Hade, J.E et al. "Calcium and Acid Rebound: a reappraisal, 1992" Journal of Clinical Endocrinology 15(1) (July), https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1500660/ (accessed April 3, 2021).
13. Science Direct, 2016. Calcium salts. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/pharmacology-toxicology-and-pharmaceutical-science/calcium-salt (accessed April 3, 2021).
14. Portnov, Alexey. May 16, 2018. Renal regulation of fluid volume, sodium, and potassium balance. https://iliveok.com/health/renal-regulation-fluid-volume-sodium-and-potassium-balance_87755i16010.html (accessed April 3, 2021).
15. Drugs.com. Potassium bicarbonate/ sodium bicarbonate disease interactions. https://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/potassium-bicarbonate-sodium-bicarbonate.html (accessed April 3, 2021).
16. Holistic Primary Care. 2018. Baking Soda is no Ally in Raising Alkaline Levels. https://holisticprimarycare.net/topics/nutrition-a-lifestyle/baking-soda-is-no-ally-in-raising-alkaline-levels/ (accessed April 3, 2021).
Replenish Your Body
See how you can benefit from our unique line of products.
Find a Store
Find our products at your nearest PLV retailer.